March 19, 2011

Saturday's Girl

Petite Dejeuner :: I'm a creature of habit; I like making the same type of foods with the same flavour palates and spices. I find so much comfort in warm rich spices and flavours like all spice, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, citrus, and molasses. After I took Nova for a looong walk all I wanted was a hearty muffin. I scouted through my cookbooks and then turned to the majestic interweb. I found this recipe for molasses muffins and got to work; it met all the craving criteria and isn't the worse thing in the world for you. I've posted the recipe below and followed everything but the nutmeg (and I added orange zest) I can't deal with nutmeg. I think it's because my mama would put it on vegetables and potatoes when I was young. It tastes like dry bitter sand to me. I also tried to get pretty with the toppings but basically FAILED on all of them except the walnuts and turbinado. Note: This would be a great base recipe to also try with zucchini or pumpkin and would make a really nice loaf as well. 



1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/3 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
2/3 cup unsulphured molasses
1 apple, peeled and grated
1 carrot, grated
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup oil
Line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners, and preheat the oven to 350 F.
Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a large bowl and mix with a wire whisk.
Stir the eggs, molasses, apple, carrot, walnuts, and oil together in a medium bowl, then pour into the flour mixture.
Stir gently with a wooden spoon until mixed, then divide among muffin tins and bake for about 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
Cool on a wire rack.

Have a nice weekend, see you tomorrow for Sounds of Sunday!
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment